For any CT please plan on arriving 30 minutes prior to your appointment for patient registration.
Preparations will vary depending on the kind of exam you are having performed:
If you are diabetic and on oral medication, a special prep may be necessary. If you have a known allergy to intravenous x-ray contrast, you may also require a special prep.
To determine if you will need a special prep, please call 559.325.5800 and ask to speak with a nurse regarding your CT.
1. CT of the Abdomen or Pelvis
- Please do not eat or drink anything for four (4) hours prior to your exam.
- Drink one (1) bottle of CT contrast fluid one (1) hour prior to your exam.
- You have the option of arriving one hour prior to your appointment to drink the contrast fluid, or you can visit California Imaging Institute the day prior to your exam to pick up the contrast fluid.
- The technologist at California Imaging Institute will provide you additional water to drink immediately prior to your exam.
2. CT Spine
- If the exam is ordered with contrast: Do not eat or drink anything four hours prior to your exam.
- If no contrast: No preparation is needed.
3. CT Renal
- Kidney stone only: No preparation required.
- If exam ordered for any other reason: Follow the instructions provided for a CT of the Abdomen.
Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing. Metal objects can affect the image, so avoid clothing with zippers and snaps. You may also be asked to remove hairpins, jewelry, eyeglasses, hearing aids, and removable dental work. Women should always inform their doctor or the technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.